And so, the saying goes “Netflix and Chill”!Ever since its inception, Netflix has changed the way we view entertainment and as time has progressed, this streaming media company has only found more takers. Netflix with their original content that sets it apart from other streaming media and video-on-demand platforms has a wide array of programs that quenches the thirst for all things entertainment for its loyal fan base and subscribers. However, the sci-fi genre is of particular interest here and Netflix doesn’t disappoint. Whether it is their original films or series, Netflix is particularly interested in addressing the scientist in you with their mind-bending and deliciously twisted content.
Here are the top Netflix sci-fi releases to watch for in 2018:
- Altered Carbon – Set in a dystopian world, Altered Carbon is a science fiction series created by Laeta Kalogridis and is based on the eponymous novel by Richard K. Morgan. While only the first season of the series has aired, consisting of ten episodes, the show has received “generally favorable reviews” on Rotten Tomatoes and Metacritic. Set 350 years in the future, Altered Carbon Stars The Killing alum Joel Kinnaman, who also starred in the most recent take of another sci-fi emblem, Robocop. Kinnaman plays a political operative and mercenary who wakes up after 250 years and is faced with a choice between prison and solving the murder of one of the wealthiest men, Laurens Bancroft, played by James Purefoy.
- Mute – Riding high on the success of Big Little Lies, Alexander Skarsgård stars in this Duncan Jones-directed film alongside Justin Theroux and Paul Rudd. Skarsgård plays Leo, a mute bartender who begins a fervent search for his girlfriend after she mysteriously disappears. Set in Berlin in 2052, Mute sees Rudd and Theroux play an American surgeon and his partner and best friend, respectively. Mute is also touted as the third film set in the sci-fi universe of the director, with this particular film being a sequel to Jones’ 2009 creation, Moon.
- The Discovery – If a film sports big names like Robert Redford, Jason Segel,and Rooney Mara, it is but natural that we would sit up and take notice. A science fiction film with touches of romance, The Discovery premiered at the Sundance Film Festival in January last year. A mixed or average review rating on Rotten Tomatoes and Metacritic should not stop fans of Segel, Redford,and Mara from exploring this film about a man, Thomas Harbor (Redford), who scientifically proves that afterlife exists, which leads to a high rate of suicide. Segel plays his son, Will who meets Isla (Mara) while on a ferry, who looks very familiar to him. Have we piqued your interest enough?
- When We First Met –At first glance When We First Met can fool you into mistaking it for another boy-meets-girl romantic comedy. That it may very well be. But that doesn’t stop it from including elements from movies like the Hot Tub Time Machine and Groundhog Day. The film stars Adam DeVine and Alexandra Daddario who play Noah and Avery. On the first night they meet, Noah gets friend zoned by Avery. Releasing that the photo booth that they used that night is actually a time machine, Noah goes back (using the same photo booth) to the night he met Avery to change the outcome of the first time they met.
- Annihilation – Jane the Virgin star and Golden Globe Award winner Gina Rodriguez teams up with Oscar winner Natalie Portman and Jennifer Jason Leigh in this sci-fi horror film based on the Jeff VanderMeer, Annihilation. With a string of positive reviews in their kitty, Annihilation is about a group of military scientists who are asked to enter a military quarantined zone known as “The Shimmer”. “The Shimmer” consists of mutating creatures and landscapes.
We say a big bowl of popcorn and a weekend is all you end to exhaust this list and there is,of course, more coming your way. After all, you know when you want tochill; it is Netflix you reach out to.